Nella's Last War
Sandy's Patch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old
About Me
Picture
Bible Believing Christian - Ostomate (colostomy) since July 2021 - I Love My country - I Believe in the Sovereignty of Nations, Free Speech, Brexit, and the Kingdom to Come.
Member Navigation
Sandy's Patch Quick Chat
Sandy's Patch Forum

Nella's Last War

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zandranna
Owner
Owner
Zandranna

Name : Sandy
Birthday : 1st Nov
UK

Nella's Last War Empty
PostNella's Last War

Nella's Last War 61727210

I was thrilled to get this book as a Mother's Day gift from my Daughter.  She knew how much I loved the film, Housewife 49, as it was called, and having watched the film already 3 times, I think it was a good guess to know I would also love the book.

The Mass Observation Project started in 1937 and ended in the mid-60s.  They asked for Volunteers to send in a daily diary of their normal lives.  Nella Last started writing and sending in her diary in September 1939.

If you are interested in social history as I am, and the second world war in particular, this is a must read.

The Blurb:

In September 1939, housewife and mother Nella Last began a regular diary that lasted for thirty years.  The account that she left of life during the Second World War is moving, fascinating and unique.

While Nella's younger son joined the army, she and the rest of the family tried to adapt to the transformed rhythms of life in Barrow-in-Furness, which suffered terribly from enemy bombing raids.  Writing each day for the 'Mass-Observation' project, Nella grows in confidence as a result of her new work, and her diary entries tell a powerful story about the war years, covering everything from sex to the genuine fear of invasion.

This was the period in which Nella turned fifty, saw her children leave home and reviewed her life and her marriage - which eventually she compared to slavery.  This is the war as Nella Last lived it.
Back to top Go down
https://sandyspatch.board-directory.net/u1wall
Share this post on: reddit

Nella's Last War :: Comments

No Comment.

Nella's Last War

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sandy's Patch :: The Blog :: Reading Between the Spines-
Jump to: