Housewife 49
Sandy's Patch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old
About Me
Picture
Bible Believing Christian - Ostomate (colostomy) since July 2021 - I Love My country - I Believe in the Sovereignty of Nations, Free Speech, Brexit, and the Kingdom to Come.
Member Navigation
Sandy's Patch Quick Chat
Sandy's Patch Forum

Reply to topic

Housewife 49

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zandranna
Owner
Owner
Zandranna

Name : Sandy
Birthday : 1st Nov
UK

Housewife 49 Empty
PostHousewife 49

This film made for TV, now on DVD is well worth watching, especially if you love social history as I do.

The writers of the film were Victoria Wood (actress) and Nella Last who wrote the diaries.

I've watched this film 3 times, it's that good.

The Plot:

Victoria Wood stars in this World War II drama as Nella Last, a downtrodden wife and mother, whose life dramatically improves with the outbreak of war.

A new world opens up to her as she gets involved with the Women's Voluntary Service, helping her to forget her marital difficulties and the absence of her two beloved sons.

Some insight is gained into the actuaility of life as it was routinely lived during the 2nd World War in a British Town, that whilst sometimes bombed, did not endure the saturation bombing of London and the places between London and the German airfields.

We also gain some insight into the Mass Observation project that invited so called ordinary people to submit their journals of whatever was on their minds as they wrote.

Victoria Wood also shows us the extra strain there is in being 'different' and unaccepted in a very class ridden and convential society as we gradually learn one son is a homosexual who endures the loss through death in war of his partner.

This is more than a dramatisation of the realities of war but also gives an indication of the stratification of British Society.

Share this post on: reddit

Housewife 49 :: Comments

No Comment.

Housewife 49

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Sandy's Patch :: The Blog :: Home Theatre-
Reply to topicJump to: